Login with username, password and session length

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A, E, F#m, D  (Read 3310 times)
TBurst Std
Servant of Christ
Platinum Supporting Member

behind a music stand w/ a capo on it

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »

For real! We need to get together for a P&WF jam and make a goal to have the LONGEST worship song EVER!!!
You know in another thread someone mentioned changing typical song types, and asked about Allman Bros.
We could put the Psalms or maybe the Passion to Allman Brothers LAFE as one song.
If you haven;t listened to LAFE recently, or critically, do so some day.
There are at least 5 or so licks from children songs.

Mark

Guitars: 79 Gibson Les Paul Std, Warmoth S Type, Godin Flat Five X, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Goodall Concert Jumbo, Ovation 12 string, Lakland 55-02 Deluxe Ltd

Rig: Axe-FX Ultra, MFC-101, QSC HPR 112i, JH Audio Pro16s, UE TripleFis, OUTGOING? Yamaha AG Stomp, INCOMING? Radial PZ-Pre

Other: High Country hammered dulcimer 17/17/7

Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God
ac30guy

A thousand posts more than Peter Hamm

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »

You know in another thread someone mentioned changing typical song types, and asked about Allman Bros.
We could put the Psalms or maybe the Passion to Allman Brothers LAFE as one song.
If you haven;t listened to LAFE recently, or critically, do so some day.
There are at least 5 or so licks from children songs.

what about a re-write of Free Bird that segways into Blackbird by Alter Bridge, finally into I Saw the Light as played by David Crowder Band

That should be about 30 minutes, then we would have to send it to Hillsong and Jesus Culture and tell them that we have tiger blood and are winning!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 03:54:40 PM by ac30guy » Logged

There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

I use: PRS electrics, Avalon U5, BadCat amp, 1964ears IEMs, shure mics, trailer trash boards and Lava  Cables.

Disclosure: I am an Xotic effects and pedaltrain artist
cnicholson87

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 11:16:50 PM »

I think they try to outdo each other sometimes.

Haha well that won't be good for the Awakening Conference in August where they'll both be doing it. No wonder it's going to be 3 days long! Just one huge song battle.
robreed

White Caucasian

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »

One of the best lessons I have learned in my songwriting in the last year is:

(1) less is more;

and

(2) go with what works.

These songs are being played on the radio, with similar styles and chord progressions, because - frankly - people like to listen to them.

So, if we want to write corporate worship that affects congregations, then this is the pattern.

If we want to write crazy original songs without familiar structures, then I say great... but if you're the only one who seems to be responding to your latest, greatest masterpiece and the congregation appears flat, then that song is probably best served at home, with God, you, and your guitar.

Worship leader at LIFEhouse Church in Northridge, CA (http://www.lifehouse.la), Personal Injury Attorney, Songwriter (http://www.robreed.com)
jgalvan8804

I am much nicer than I type...

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 05:36:52 AM »

I dont mean to stir the pot... But which Hillsong song is 15 minutes....

I play about 30-40 of them regularly and they are usually pretty short.  4 minutes on average.

Are we talking about them playing live?  Cause I have most of their live shows and they are all similar to the recording.

Also I think that if the moment is right and people are worshiping I dont have a problem extending a song or bridge or chorus or just getting quiet and letting the song go where it goes.  We have begun doing that more often.  If the congregation is not into it we end the song and move on. 

Worship should not be 4 songs done perfect and then the band rush's off the stage.  We are supposed to be creating an atmosphere... And that isnt easily defined as to how that is supposed to happen.

Mike Campbell said once Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers has a motto for song writing.  "dont bore us... get to the chorus"

Guitars- Gibson Les Paul 58 RI, Telecaster
Pedals- Poly Tune, Tim OD, Fulltone Fulldrive, Nova Delay, Ocean EFX Vintage Echo.
Amp- Vox 50th Ann. AC15HW Sent direct to FOH with A Palmer PDI-09, Vox AC4HW (backup)
cnicholson87

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 09:58:35 PM »

I dont mean to stir the pot... But which Hillsong song is 15 minutes....

I have all their cd's and for the most part they don't go over 7. But Fire Fall Down and Savior King both go over 10 minutes. I don't know about 15 but once you hit 10 you've already entered the same territory.

Also I think that if the moment is right and people are worshiping I dont have a problem extending a song or bridge or chorus or just getting quiet and letting the song go where it goes.  We have begun doing that more often.  If the congregation is not into it we end the song and move on.
I totally agree. I think it can get out of hand and sometimes ends but feeling just awkward, but most of the time there is space to be had to let the Spirit continue what's going on.
jgalvan8804

I am much nicer than I type...

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2011, 04:04:09 AM »

I think that letting the music go on can be a beautiful thing or an awful thing.  Its hard to describe how to do it consistantly... and we all know when its wrong... but when its done right its really cool.

I've never played savior king or fire fall down. But I will be listening to them today.

Guitars- Gibson Les Paul 58 RI, Telecaster
Pedals- Poly Tune, Tim OD, Fulltone Fulldrive, Nova Delay, Ocean EFX Vintage Echo.
Amp- Vox 50th Ann. AC15HW Sent direct to FOH with A Palmer PDI-09, Vox AC4HW (backup)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: